Follow my blog on bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin

domingo, 15 de marzo de 2015

Why I want to be a cove guardian.

This is a subject I've been wanting to talk about since I started blogging but I waited until I had a certain number of readers.


Most of you probably don't know what a cove guardian is so I'm going to tell you how I learned about Taiji, The Cove and The Sea Shepherd.




It was some years ago, when I was in college; we had this weekend to learn about something social, volunteer and things like that. At the end of the weekend, we had to watch a movie, or in this case it was a documentary called The Cove, and write about it for free credits so I was like, why not? That was the first time I knew what was happening to one of the most amazing creatures on Earth.
It was 90 minutes of my life, and it wouldn't be the same anymore. I saw how a group of activists were trying to film what was happening in that cove in Taiji, so the rest of us knew. 
I saw them trying to save those beautiful dolphins that were driven into the cove and I saw blood, so much blood and pain.
I knew I had to do something.
Unfortunately, as some of you know from previous posts, I didn't have anything, no money, no family. Nothing, but that didn't stop me from getting the word out.
I told everyone I knew about The Cove, I made people watch it, I argued, I signed petitions. Everything I could.








The Cove is a documentary that shows how dolphins are slaughtered every year in Taiji, Japan from September to March.  They search for the "cute, perfect TV dolphin" to be sold to SeaWorld and aquariums around the world; and in that search they kill thousands of dolphins every year. 

Click here to learn more about The Cove.











Being such an animal/dolphin lover I've been asked why I want to witness that. 
It's not about being there to witness it, it's about taking part, taking action. Letting everyone know how cruel that is. Showing the world what's happening in the world and letting them know they can stop it.

I want to, one day, see a world where all creatures can live together, where no animal is harmed or killed for fun; and I want to know I had something to do with it.

If you want to learn more about Cove Guardians and what they do, click here. 









 
In yesterday's post I mentioned I wanted to be a Sea Shepherd, but what's a Sea Shepherd?

Quote from seashepherd.org

"Established in 1977, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) is an international non-profit, marine wildlife conservation organization. Our mission is to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world's oceans in order to conserve and protect ecosystems and species.
Sea Shepherd uses innovative direct-action tactics to investigate, document, and take action when necessary to expose and confront illegal activities on the high seas. By safeguarding the biodiversity of our delicately balanced ocean ecosystems, Sea Shepherd works to ensure their survival for future generations."





There are other ways to help:

DON'T BUY A TICKET TO A DOLPHIN SHOW

SIGN EVERY PETITION YOU CAN AND WRITE TO EVERYONE WHO WILL LISTEN

EDUCATE YOUR FRIENDS

SHARE!

See also:

SeaShepherd.org
DolphinProject.net
BlackFish movie
Read Ric O'Barry's book "Behind the dolphin smile"









No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario