Follow my blog on bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin

viernes, 11 de diciembre de 2015

How to control your thoughts.



I know it’s almost Christmas and I’m probably the biggest Christmas lover out there but this post isn’t about Christmas. Sorry!


While growing up, I didn’t have someone to look up to, listen to me or help me with my problems so, when I started working with kids I knew I didn’t just want to teach them Math or English, I knew I wanted them to have someone they can go to with anything.

So for the last weeks I’ve been listening to a teenage boy with a really low self esteem and giving him advice; and today I realized I need to teach him he can control his thoughts.

Now, I know I’ve talked about this in the past but I think this subject is really important and needs more attention.

Yes, you CAN control your thoughts!

Bad thoughts are very destructive; they destroy your everything, your self esteem, your results, your relationships…

There are different ways to control your thoughts but the most effective one in my case was/is Mindfulness.

Mindfulness means maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment.

It means we accept our thoughts and feelings without judging them.
The human mind is easily distracted by the past; examining past events and thinking we could have done something different. But it is also constantly trying to anticipate the future or making plans.

But how do we practice Mindfulness? Easy!

Mindfulness is basically a meditation so here’s something you can do.

Find a quiet spot in your home or somewhere else you’d like, but make sure you choose a place with little distraction.

Decide how long you want to meditate for and set a timer.

Take good posture in a chair or on a cushion on the floor, you need to find a position you know you can stay in for a while. 

Once you’ve done this follow your breath, pay attention to it and when you find yourself getting distracted by other things, simply go back to your breath. Don’t judge yourself or get lost analyzing the content of your thoughts, just calmly go back to the present moment.  No matter how many times this happens, just catch yourself thinking and go back to your breath.

If you think you need a little extra help (I know I needed it), here’s a video I used to use in the beginning. 




Practice this daily and you will see great results!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario